Sorry guys, but I just can’t stop. There is basically no way that I can give you healthy food recipes just because it’s January. Maybe I’m cruel. I’m definitely unusual. But don’t think of this as punishment. Because what it actually is..is a little bit of heaven.
Do you like caramel? If you’re anything like me, you’ll forgo all other choices in the sees candy box and reach straight for the ones that are just a hunk of caramel covered in chocolate. (if you’re anything like me you know the shapes of every one of these..) I’m pretty much a caramel fiend. I’d choose it over hot fudge any day. And lately, I can’t escape seeing the words “salted caramel” and “salted butter caramel” everywhere I turn. There are recipes for it all over the internet, every ice cream company and candy place is taking advantage of its sudden popularity. Okay, it’s probably not that sudden but I’m usually behind the times, so it’s new to me. But I’m excited about it
So you can imagine how surprised I was to find out how easy it is to make. And how mind-blowingly delicious it is. I wish I had a better vocabulary to describe this to you. It takes less than 15 minutes to make, from start to in your mouth, and you’ll never want to eat another caramel again. Seriously. Please, do yourself a favor. Grab some heavy cream on your way home from work, and make this tonight.
Ingredients (that you probably already have)
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- few pinches of sea salt (don’t be scared. go for it)
Procedure (that is ridiculously easy)
- In a fairly large (3 qt or so) saucepan, heat the sugar over medium-ish heat until it starts to melt. Stir it regularly but not too crazily, just keep it moving so that nothing burns. The sugar will start to melt, then turn light brown, then begin to turn a deep brown. Don’t stop even once it’s melted. Keep stirring until you have a super deep brown color and the caramel is beginning to smoke. As long as your heat isn’t too hot and you keep it moving, it shouldn’t burn. (if it does, which, really, I promise, it shouldn’t, toss it and start over. there is no salvaging it)
- Turn heat to low and add the butter and sea salt. It will bubble and hiss, but just whisk until butter is completely melted. (it may look like it’s separating a little, but it will come together when you add the cream)
- Once butter is melted, slowly add in cream while whisking caramel. Resist the urge to eat it now. It will burn your face off. Allow to cool slightly and then pour into glass jars for storage. Keep refrigerated for up to a week or so. To use as a sauce for ice cream, heat in microwave on 50% power in 15-20 second intervals to slowly heat back up.
- eat and enjoy. Seriously. You could just scoop it out with a spoon. I certainly wouldn’t judge you.