I mean, no joke. As in, this is not a joke. These things taste exactly like cheez-its. But don’t be like my mother. When I called her, literally bursting with joy at the cheezygoodness that was hommemade cheez-its in my mouth, she just laughed. She laughed and then said “what’s the point of that? can’t you just buy them?” Jeez, mother. I mean, cmon! I’m clearly so excited here!!
seriously though, before you say the same thing she did, check this out: they’re made with 100% whole wheat flour. chyeah!! that’s right!! whole-effing-wheat! (Didn’t I mention I’m having a little tryst with whole wheat at the moment? It’s awesome. I hope I never stop.) Also, I’m sure this is not the case in, uh, any other state in the US, but it is true in Hawaii: packaged foods are ding-dang expensive and coupons are few and far between. Seriously, a box of cheerio-s is like 7 bucks. ridic. I dunno if making these were really any cheaper, but man. They were delicious. Seriously. go try them. pronto.
Whole Wheat Cheese Crackers (adapted from smittenkitchen)
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar, grated
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks.
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- preheat oven to 350 degrees. dump all ingredients into a food processor (if you only have a tiny one like me, do this in batches) and pulse until a ball forms.
- dump (lots of dumping in this recipe, huh?) the dough onto a well-floured surface and if it feels soft, wrap it in plastic and put it in the fridge or freezer for 10-20 minutes until it is cold enough to work with. roll out dough until it is very, very thin (the thinner the dough, the crispier the cracker), about 1/8 inch.
- cut out whatever shape of crackers you like (I only have round cutters, but after testing out this recipe now I have a reason to get teeny-tiny alphabet cutters!!) and use a fork to poke some holes in the top.
- transfer cutouts to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. they will spread slightly, so leave a little space between crackers.
- let cool completely on a rack before eating; then eat and enjoy!!!