Ok. I don’t actually understand the saying “easy as pie” because let’s be completely honest.. pie isn’t all that easy to make. I promise you every time I try i screw something up. Whether it’s accidentally dumping the half-baked crust out of the pan ,or cutting into what you think will be a pie only to realize it it actually pie soup, or the fact that way too many pies require oven+stove+oven time; I have never found pies particularly “easy”. But nonetheless, I love pie, and it’s one of my favorite things to (attempt) to make.
So I made this pie a couple of weeks ago and the only reason I made it was because I had leftover pie crust dough from my spinach and bacon quiche. I had to use this dough and I happened to have a giant costco-sized bag of frozen mixed berries in my freezer. So if you ever end up in the same predicament as me, here’s the perfect solution! And incidentally… this pie actually is easy to make!
- pie crust (recipe here)
- a whole bunch of mixed berries (fresh or frozen.. sorry I don’t have a measurement.. this was really spur-of-the-moment)
- 2-ish tablespoons sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons flour (use more if you are using frozen berries or it will be very saucy like mine was)
- Whipped cream (optional, but necessary for full delish-factor)
- preheat the oven to 350, with a rack set in the middle of the oven.
- roll out and place your pie crust like it says to do here. (We didn’t let ours sit in the fridge for a full 3 hours because we were hungry)
- Pour enough berries to fill the crust into a separate bowl. (just eyeball it.. that’s what I did)
- toss with the sugar and flour and then pour into the pie crust.
- bake for 25-35 minutes, or until crust is nicely browned and berries look bubbly and delicious.
- Let the pie cool for a while before slicing into it or it will fall apart and burn your mouth at the same time. not pleasant.
- serve with whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream and rejoice in the fact that you just made the easiest pie ever!
ps. sorry the pictures are sub-par.. I had to use flash because this was before we had enough light bulbs in our fixtures..
pss. sorry about the lack of measurements.. seems to be a recurring theme that I remember to take pictures but forget to measure stuff… one day I’ll get it right.