So last week we bought these big fat sweet Italian sausages at the store, and we used a couple to make some tasty pastas, as would be expected. But I’m not always the hugest fan of those types of sausages. I like breakfast sausage… but not always dinner sausage.
It was getting to the point that we really had to use these sausages or they would go bad, as they had already been sitting open in the fridge for a couple days. So Brett got all fired up about sausage sandwiches for dinner.. and I merely said… oh… okay…
But don’t let my initial lack of unadulturated enthusiasm fool you, folks. Because these sammies turned out lip-smacking good. And the best part is? Hardly any effort required: only one pan, and stuff you probably already have in your fridge. Here’s how we did it.
- Italian sausages in casing (cook one for each person)
- thin cut strips of onion (we used about 1/6 of a large onion for 2 sandwiches)
- thin cut strips of bell pepper (we didn’t have any on hand… but you should use it!)
- fresh hoagie type rolls, one for each sandwich
- marinara sauce
- Take however many sausages you plan on eating (don’t be greedy here, these things are huge!) and throw them in a skillet over medium heat with a bit of olive oil. let them brown on both sides
- Toss in the onions and the bell pepper and let them cook until soft, about 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, split the rolls down the center. (we used fresh baked rolls… super super delicious.. but any fresh bakery rolls will do ) and heat the marinara either in the microwave or on the stove in a separate saucepan
- Plop (yes, plop.) the sausages right into the center of the bowl, stuff it with the onions and sausages, and smother it with marinara.
- Eat your heart out.
We served it with a salad to make our hearts feel a little bit better..but let’s be honest here.. this food is good for your soul. I’ve learned my lesson; in the future, I will always be the one shouting in joy at the mere prospect of these little heart-attack-buns.