Ever since I saw these homemade snickers bars on How Sweet It Is.. [who I am fully obsessed with, by the way] I knew I had to make them. But there were two things about the recipe that stopped me: one, I seriously never buy marshmallow fluff and I don’t even know where to find it, and I can almost guarantee that out here it would cost approximately one million dollars. Welcome to Hawaii. And two, there is no peanut butter in snickers bars. I have no doubt that it would be delicious, but one time I tried this homemade kit kat bar recipe, and it called for peanut butter in the chocolate, and it was just not at all a kit kat. So I have an aversion to peanut butter in my chocolate when making candy bars. Don’t get me wrong, peanut butter and chocolate is the number one most incredible combination of all time, like, hellooooo, reeses?! But not in my Snickers bars.
So. I tried something a little different. Um, seriously? Best. Thing. Ever. Also, Messiest. Thing. Ever. You’ll thank me later, as you lick chocolate and nougat off your fingers. and elbows. and knees? How did that get there?
Homemade Snickers Bars [Nougat adapted from Bon Appetit]
- 8 oz chocolate [I used half milk, half super dark, and I'm pretty sure it was the best idea ever]
- 1 tbsp butter
- This same caramel recipe [1 cup sugar, 1 oz salted butter, 1/2 cup cream]
- 1 large egg white
- 1/8 tsp plus 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt [uh.. I'm pretty sure I forgot to add this..]
- 1 cup peanuts [you can use salted or unsalted, just make sure they don't have skins; I left mine mostly whole, er in halves, and loved the texture, but you could give them a rough chop if you feel like it]
- Line an 8X8 pan with plastic wrap so that it hangs over two sides. Spray with cooking spray generously. Seriously. Set aside.
- In a double boiler, or in the microwave in 20 second increments, melt 4 oz of chocolate with 1/2 tbsp butter. Whisk smooth. Pour into prepared pan, smooth out the top [I like to shake it around and drop it on the counter to get out all the bubbles]. Stick it in the fridge to set while you make the nougat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment [or in a bowl using a hand mixer] whip together egg white and 1/8 tsp sugar until foamy. In a small saucepan [or in the microwave if you're feeling lazy] heat the honey until it boils. With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the hot honey down the sides of the bowl. Once it’s all in, turn the mixer up to medium-high. Whip it good until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan [like the one you just used for honey.. score for less dishes!] bring 3/4 cup sugar and 3 tbsp water to a boil. Let cook for at least 5 minutes [if you are better prepared than me, bust out your candy thermometer and heat until it reaches 275F].
- Turn your mixer with egg white mixture in it back on to low speed, and slowly pour the hot sugar down the side of the bowl. Once it’s all in, turn the mixer up to high and whip until glossy stiff peaks form [um.. my peaks never really 'stiffened'..that's what she said. but yeah. it still worked out. just gooey-er than maybe it should have been, also at this point is when you should stir in the salt but I'm pretty sure I forgot to do that]
- Pour the nougat over prepared chocolate and sprinkle 1 cup peanuts over the top of the nougat. Stick it in the fridge while you make the caramel.
- I used the exact same caramel recipe as seen here. Once it’s made, let it cool to at least room temperature before pouring over the nougat. Then stick the whole mess in the fridge. For at least a couple hours. Actually, stick it in the freezer. I know you want to eat them like, right now.
- Melt your second 4 oz of chocolate with the leftover 1/2 tbsp butter. Pour that mess of deliciousness over the mess of caramely-nougat you have in the fridge [or freezer]. and put it back in the coldness to let it set. Before completely set, score the chocolate so as to make it easier to cut. I uh, again, did not do this and my chocolate cracked.Whatever. still tastes good!
Stuff yo’ face!! Happy Halloween! I hope you have a fabulous day and win ALL the costume contests!!